• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Doing bodywork

331stang

Regular
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah I really want to learn the basics.

The stock '67 trunk is in great shape, some low spots, soft dents, but once I start sanding I'll see what I got.

Now the fiberglass one I have, I want to fill in those holes. A buddy of mine said I can't just mix up fiberglass I'll need to also put in some other stuff. I really want to prep that fiberglass one first. Anyone have thoughts on filling holes?
Get some small squares of fiberglass and panel bond them to the underside , doesnt have to be thick pieces let it set , make sure the holes are beveled a bit so you dont have sharp edges ,then you will need , durables with activator , (applies like body filler, , block out 80grit , apply body filler over that , block 180 then use a body glaze , block with 180 then 220 , prime , leave in sun for a couple days , its gunna shrink ,shrinking for this is unavoidable , block it out after couple weeks ( if you got time to kill with it ), might have to re-glaze it and prune again, should be good for quite a while

331stang

Regular
Aug 14, 2011
The worst part about d.i.y. bodywork ,is the cost of stuff ,they have low end stuff but descent materials cost alot anymore, I use axalta products at work and over the last 1.5 years they had like a 42 % increase in price as well as ppg, sherwin , and a few others , so prepare yourself when u go to pick up products at stores

Thread Info